Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Financial Peace University


Have you taken Financial Peace University? Jon and I started this week. I'm not sure what exactly I was expecting but I felt a little disappointed after the first meeting.

I think in order to make myself feel more accountable I'm going to make my own plan for following along during the course. There is a "financial snapshot" worksheet in our packet of materials that we will complete later in the course but I think I'm going to do my own self assessment now before we go any farther.

This is my personal list of next steps for the next twelve weeks of class:

I will take a financial snapshot of my own, recording where we began, including current amount of all types of savings and debt.

I will do the assigned reading every week.

I will only buy things when we need them (no stocking up).

I'm going to start using cash where appropriate. (I use pay-at-the-pump for filling the car with gas so kids don't have to get out of the car to go inside, and I'm not about to leave them in the car while I go inside.)

Kids are going to have to start working for their allowance. (That one should go over well.)

I'm going to learn to make a plan for meals. (Develop one - two week's worth and use them again and
again.)

I'm considering holding an unprecedented third garage sale during a single summer.

That's probably more than enough for now. Have you taken Financial Peace University? How did it go for you? What would you add to my list?

3 comments:

  1. Keep it up, girl! Beans and rice, rice and beans. It's the most AMAZING feeling to pay something off and snowball it into another debt. My fiance and I both went through it with our ex's, and we are getting married in two weeks with the same mindset: PAY IT OFF!!! I can't wait for the day we can call Dave and yell "I'M DEBT FREE!!!!". It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.
    However, I will admit that we have an entertainment budget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to recommend a book _The $5 Dinner Mom_ & her blog http://www.5dollardinners.com/.
    I have found some great recipes in her book & some great ideas on her blog. I bought the book at Borders with a 40% off coupon after previewing it in the library. You might have to tweak the recipes to feed two hungry, rapidly growing boys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your thoughts Lisa & Lori! Jon and I are on the same page and I think we'll get there sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete