Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

What would you do with $100M?

So Meg Whitman spent well over $100,000,000 of her own fortune to try to win the California governor's race. She lost. I guess it's nice to have millions of dollars to just throw away, eh? Perhaps she doesn't see it as having thrown it away. Maybe she feels there's still value in having run. Maybe she's right. I really don't know.

Here are some of my thoughts on how I would have preferred to invest over $100,000,000.

  • Give one million dollars each to one hundred school systems.
  • Sponsor a whole bunch of kids through Compassion International.
  • Fund some food pantries.
  • Support some literacy programs.
  • Offer bonuses to the highest performing teachers in the state.
  • Send some kids to college who can't go otherwise. (Name a scholarship after yourself)
  • Finance The Rhema Project.

Yeah, that's what I would do. There would certainly be books involved in my plans. If you had over $100,000,000 to spend or invest or throw away however you chose, what would you do with it?

You know, maybe Meg has done some of these things or similar. I really don't know. I just heard the sound bite as to how much she had spent and had this very visceral reaction to how much money she had spent on a losing campaign. I wonder what's next? Now that she's not going to be spending her time as governor of California, how will she be spending her time? And how will she spend her next $100,000,000?

No comments:

Post a Comment