Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

I'm an addict

So last weekend I asked you if you believed that people could be addicted to sugar. Of those who responded, 93% said yes, they believe sugar addiction is possible. Some said "heck yes" right along with some "I am" thrown in for good measure. My guess on the other seven percent who don't believe people can be addicted to sugar are the lucky ones who are not genetically pre-disposed to sugar sensitivity.


Honestly, I'm a little torn on how to write about this issue. It's not something everybody believes, although an overwhelming number of people do. It's not something medical and scientific communities agree upon. My personal experience with doctors and therapists has been disappointing. They seem to be the least impressed by people who tell them they have trouble avoiding sugar and certain foods.

Ya know, if I had typed that title and then started talking about alcohol, or cocaine, or prescription drugs,   there'd be no doubt. No question as to whether what I was talking about was real and true and difficult to handle. But when it's sugar we're talking about? That's another story entirely.

Not only sugar, but all the variations thereof. And I love all my farm blogger friends, and I hate to have to disagree, but high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is NOT just corn. It certainly starts out that way, but after it's been chemically changed and added to, it behaves far differently in my body than simple plain old sugar does. Or corn for that matter.

So what to do? How to respond? 

I have no idea.

I've tried to beat this before. I've been on different diets that really helped and I was able to break the addiction. Here's the thing. When a person falls off the sugar addiction "wagon," it's not pretty. You don't fall off and get back up and dust off and get right back on. Usually a sugar addict will fall off to the point where the wagon is no where in sight. 

When a food or sugar addict falls off the wagon, it usually starts with "just a few cookies." Or the dessert at a company picnic. Or Halloween candy shared from the kids bags. However it happens, one tootsie roll becomes all of them. M&M's seem so innocent. A few aren't so bad, but they gang up on you. 

The worst part for me today is that I'm growing three little sugar addicts at my house right now. I don't want my kids to have to deal with this. The thing is they do. We can't change genetics. It is what it is.

So. What am I going to do? How should I handle this? Who has a great idea?

Should I detox first and handle the kids later? 

Should I plan some time away from work and other things because you know I'm gonna be grumpy? It takes at least several days to get over the grumpies. I guess this will be a recurring theme on the blog for a little while. 

Whatcha got?



No comments:

Post a Comment