That's right folks. Just four weeks from today my kids will be back in school. How about yours? Do you have longer or less time to cram in all the fun things you want to do between now and then?
I have two boy's birthday parties to make happen, along with school supply shopping, two kid's annual doctor checkups, a work trip to Chicago, and a two day conference all in there. How's that all going to happen? Planning.
Today we're setting our timers for twenty minutes to do some serious planning. Got your timer? Set it? Ok, ready, set, go.
- Make sure you have your family calendar in front of you. If you don't have one (gasp!) add it to your list to get one!
- Make sure you have all appointments and plans written on the calendar for now until school starts again. Plans floating around in your head will be forgotten and/or missed.
- Schedule a time to sit down with your spouse and even older kids if appropriate to go over the calendar. We call these "calendaring" meetings. Really. Do it. Everybody needs to be on the same page.
- Schedule the last minute things that you intended to do all summer but haven't gotten around to yet.
- Find the kid's school supply lists that got sent home in May. If you can't find it check the school website or call the office (although many offices won't open again until August).
- If you still have time left, start going through the kid's clothes today. Make sure they have what they'll need for that first hot, sticky week back to school.
By doing this little bit of planning now you can enjoy the rest of the summer knowing that you'll be ready for school when those first days sneak up on you.
Now, what are you waiting for? Get back in the pool!