Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

20X40 List Update #2 Make a Loan Through Kiva.org

We have actually made two loans through Kiva as of this writing.  The first was to a gentleman who lives in Kenya, Muthama Kalue.  We decided to support a loan in Kenya because we sponsor a Compassion International daughter there as well.  The thinking was that if this man's business did better, perhaps that could somehow effect our "daughter" Imani's life as well.

I had been waiting to update this list item because I wanted to see how it went.  There are several things I like about sponsoring individuals through Kiva.org. First, it's only a $25 investment. My family spends more than that on one meal out at any fast food restaurant. I'm positive we can give up one meal out to help make someone's life a little better. Second, my account gets credited small amounts each time the loan recipient makes a loan payment. So every time he makes a payment I get an email that shows how much my account has been credited.

And the really cool thing about that was that when a friend posted to his Facebook page yesterday that he and his wife had just sponsored someone through Kiva.org, I was able to take advantage of the opportunity to reinvest what had already been returned to us. I added just about $15 more to my account and was able to help sponsor another business venture yesterday.  This time it was a woman, Fatoumata Traore, from Mali. 

I would like to sponsor more businesses from Kenya, again in order to support the region where our Compassion child lives. For now though, I thought it would be fun to join our friends in supporting someone.

Have you ever sponsored someone through Kiva.org? Or through Compassion International?  Or any other agency? 

No comments:

Post a Comment