Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

20X40 List Update #13 Start/Join a Bookclub

I am so happy to say that I have NOT had to start my own book club but I have been lucky enough to have found two book clubs that are very fun.  The first I've only been able to attend once so far because an ill child kept me from the second meeting.  The first book we read was The Help by Kathryn Stockett and I loved that book.  I felt smarter after reading it.  The second book we read was Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.  I really had no interest in reading it but it was for book club so there you go.  It just had to be done.

And the verdict is, I actually really enjoyed Twilight and it's easy to see what all the hype is about.  It's a ridiculously romantic book.  With all of the Harlequin Romances and other series of romance novels that are sold in this country every year, this book is easily at least as romantic as any of those.  It does NOT have the explicitness of the others or I would absolutely say it's not for pre-teens.  That part has thankfully been left out.  I've decided that as an avid reader I really want to finish the series so now I'm on to New Moon.  I'll let you know how that goes.

The other group I joined turns out to be a Young Adult book club at our local Barnes & Noble store.  It's a really interesting group and the other members have helped me find plenty of books for my boys (ages 11 & 9) to read.  Two of the members work at the bookstore (I call them young adults ~young 20ish, my boys call them old). Either way, they have been very helpful in finding great reads and the discussions of books so far have been really fun.

See my entire 20X40 list here.  By the way, my birthday was March 14th so now I have less than a year to complete my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment