Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

20X40 Update - Volunteer for a Compassion International Event

A long, long time ago I wrote a post about things I would like to accomplish or do before I turned 40 years old. You can read that here.

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to cross off number 17 on the list - Volunteer for a local Compassion International event.

I've actually done this twice now. Both times have been at a chapel event at the local Bethel College. Honestly, I love chapel and I would go more often if I didn't think people would start to wonder about this old lady that keeps showing up for no apparent reason.

The speaker this time was Eric Timm. He's a painter and created a piece while we watched. It was amazing. Honestly, I had never heard of Eric before. Sorry Eric. But, he was fantastic and did a great job of sharing the mission of Compassion with the students and challenging them. It was a great time.

One thing I love about doing events like this is meeting interesting people. The couple I volunteered with that day were getting ready for a trip to New Zealand and Australia. They were under a little bit of stress because with a winter storm bearing down on us (winter in Indiana folks) they were pretty sure if they didn't get out that day, they weren't going to get out at all. In the end they were able to switch their flight and leave a few days early so they could get out of South Bend before the storm hit here.

I was really glad for them and have thought about them enjoying their travels over the weeks since then. So many great things happen every time I volunteer. This time I got to enjoy the chapel service, meet some new friends, and help people get signed up to sponsor children half a world away.

That's my kind of a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment